4/27/09

Percy Warner Park with CK Cates...

I've had this idea floating around for a while about how people see themselves as minor celebrities. In a small solipsistic way, we all walk around with our own ideas of what makes up our personal character. Whether it's walking around with a soundtrack playing in our head or strutting around like a character in a show, we've all seen ourselves as something more than we may be (at least I have). I want to create a series of photographs that portrays that. The everyday person in a common setting with over-the-top setups.

With that, I put together this shot with help from a few friends. This is just a test shot, but it came out close to what I want. CK Cates was kind enough to pose while Jim and Rob ran around to light the damn thing. I just chilled out behind the camera and held the shutter open. The final composite is 27 layers deep.


We shot CK first with a Medium soft box on an Alien Bee 800 in front and three SB-800's strapped to a stand in the back. I set the camera to rear sync and opened the shutter on bulb. When Jim was finished popping the lights in the background, Rob turned on the key light and I released the shutter.


To create the background, I shot a long exposure and painted the trees with a couple flashlights (thank you Hoff household).

To add more contrast to the top of the trees, Jim walked the Alien Bee up the stair path and I fired off some shots.

All told, it was a fun night out at the park with gear and a few friends. Enjoy...

DBJ

No comments: